Thursday, August 14, 2008

My thought for the week

So as every living person in the US knows, the Olympics are on. All the time. Keeping me up too late, making me anxious about things I would normally never care about (ahem, men's swimming relay) and basically running my life. And like everyone else, I've heard ALL about Michael Phelps and his world record-breaking times and all the gold medals, blah, blah, blah. But last night, I started feeling bad for all those other swimmers. I mean, you go to the Olympics, which is a MAJOR big deal, and you win this medal. Maybe not a gold, but jeez! Silver or bronze is awesome. You're one of the top 3 people in the world to do this certain event! So you get off your podium and go talk to Bob Costas or Rowdy Gaines or Matt Lauer (love you, Matt) and what do they want to talk to you about? Michael flippin Phelps. These poor guys just won a medal! This may be the only time they get a medal (you never know!) and what do they get? Someone else's 15 minutes of fame. I mean, I get it- this is a really big deal and it's amazing that he's already won but come on. Not only do I feel bad for the swimmers but I kind of feel bad for every single Olympian (is that a word?) who is there. They are all overshadowed by this. And the ones who win the announcers kind of make it sound like, eh- now back to Michael's next race! I don't know. I'm sure people will disagree with me on this, and I completely recognize the enormity of what Michael Phelps is trying to do, so don't get me worng. But I just feel bad for the other kids!

1 comment:

Kalinda said...

I want to touch Michael Phelps. Specifically his stomach...wait, I think that's called abs on him for sure.

I also do NOT find him remotely attractive in clothes, I think he should wear boxers at most at all times. Just sayin.

OH! And hooooray for the LP news (hadn't checked "blaaaaaahgh" in awhile)

Miss your face so much, so glad about eric getting old! I get to see you!