Friday, August 7, 2009

Moving was....interesting?

Moving in to my new apartment has been quite an interesting ordeal. The movers called to let me know that they would be here on Thursday. Awesome. I head down to talk to the front desk man and he informed me that I would probably need permits for the movers to park their large van on the street. Great. I head off to the police station where I'm told that for the permits to be enforced, you have to give 72 hours notice. It was Tuesday (meaning only 48 hours until the movers arrived). Sigh. Fortunately, Officer Awesome gave me permits anyway, but made sure to tell me that they would not technically be enforced. Whatever, I don't care, give me the permits!!!! So the movers get here Thursday. I walk down, make sure they have everything, secure the elevator, yada yada yada and head back upstairs. About 5 minutes later, a man comes and raps on my door (which was open, so was completely pointless). He then proceeds to tell me about how rude my movers are and how they yanked his friends' bike around and he tried to tell them to stop and blah blah blah and then they all got into a screaming cussing fight. In the street. I stood there, mouth probably hanging open and just kept saying "I'm sorry?" like it was a question. He then launches into the story all over again and tells me that I need to talk to the moving company and hopefully there's no damage to the bike and again, I say "I'm sorry?" I mean, what do you say to someone who is reaming you out for something that you really have no control over? Hello! I'm MOVING IN. I just want my stuff, so what should I do? Run down there and scream at the people in complete control of my furniture? It was a lovely start to the move. OH, and how did he even know what floor the movers were going to? The whole thing mortified and pissed me off at the same time. I hate confrontation, but at the same time, it wasn't my fault! So, move continues. Then, long pause and a mover comes up to inform me that the freight elevator has broken and they will only be able to use the smaller elevator that does not run independently so it will now take longer. 4 hours later.........they finally bring up the last thing. My TV. Before the move, the company decided to have a third party crate the TV to prevent damage. Well, when the movers get the TV up to the new place, they tell me that since they didn't pack it, they can't unpack it. And it's sitting there in a huge wooden crate, boarded up and nailed shut. By that time, I'm over it all and I tell them that I'll just find my screwdriver and take it apart because the cable guy is coming in an hour. They kind of look at each other, like, yeah kid, sure you will, and one of the guys tells me that if I don't tell anyone, he'll do it all for me. Of course, my answer is PLEASE!!!!! Needless to say, it was a long day.

On another note, the front desk guy at night is possibly the most awesome dude ever. He's old, half deaf and his name is Wiggins. I love him.

No comments: