Sunday, July 13, 2008

That didn't work out so well....

Sorry! My attempt to post a blog while I travel did NOT work out. Ya know, it's really hard to see a bunch of stuff AND have time to write about it. I barely had time to take pictures of what we did, much less get on a computer and tell everyone about it. On that note, I will now try to give you some highlights and thoughts on my trip.

1. On overseas flights, you get a few meals. I get really excited about it (why? who knows. it's like hospital food, which i also like. i'm gross. ). Sometimes there's a cute little sandwich, sometimes it's a weird congealed mess of "chicken" and "sauce" and sometimes you get a warm croissant. Those are the best. Anyway, when you buy your ticket AND AGAIN when you check in, you can indicate if you have any special dietary needs that need to be addressed. I take this to mean a nut allergy or diabetes but it also apparently includes vegetarians. Fine. Everytime I take these flights though, there is a person in my row or the row ahead or somewhere close to me who makes a HUGE deal about how they signed up for a veggie meal and they don't eat meat and they need someone to get them the vegetarian meal so they can eat because they paid for it. It irritates the SHIT out of me. First, uh, yeah lady. I'm sure that all the other people who requested it got it, except you. The airlines are only after you (not all of us, just you) and they way they wanted to get you was not giving you some vegetables. Second, why are we catering to someone's choice? I mean, we ALL get the same stuff except you. Because you CHOSE to be a vegetarian. I get the serious needs but these ladies have struck me as the vegetarian-by-choice kind of gals. Third, why even get pissed? We are over an ocean. The food has already been put on the plane. What would you like the poor flight crew to do? Plants some carrots, grow them and give them to you? They have nothing to give you! Nothing! So please don't yell at them and make us all uncomfortable when you're dumb ass should have at least brought some snacks for our 8 hour flight. I did.

2. I booked a few hotels, you know, so I had a place to sleep. I did this all in the same day thinking that I would be less likely to screw it up if I had the timeline laid out, booked the hotels in order and planned it that way. Well, I was wrong. The last night, we were going to stay close to Paddington Station so that we could mess around in the morning and then LP would just throw me on the train and I'd be there. So when did I book this hotel for? The first night. Which I had also booked a hotel. I did not realize this until Friday though, which means that I paid for a hotel that I never stayed in. To punish myself, I stayed with LP instead of getting another hotel. In his tiny little room.

3. I don't know if you guys knew that I was getting a surprise, but I was. On Tuesday at 1 I had a surprise coming to me. I guessed all kinds of things: a haircut, an audition for a musical, a hot air balloon ride, meeting the Queen. It was not any of these things, but something much better. A Duck Tour!!! You know, those things that go on land AND in the water. So it went all around Westminster and Trafalgar Square and then into the Thames. In my book, that spells F-U-N! LP had always said that he would never go on this in Austin (his logic- he knows what's in Austin so why go on a tour? because it goes on land and in the water!!) so I was so amazed that he would plan this. It was awesome. And really sweet of him to plan it and go on it.

I'm tired of writing, but I'll give you more special little stories from my trip because I haven't even broken the surface.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a nut allergy.

~ CWR

Kalinda said...

hoorays! you're home! I'm so glad you got your duck tour, now you just need to check segway off, or is that a segue? ha. I'm a nerd.

didja miss me? of course you did.