Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Music Review: What I'm listening to

I am by no means a music guru, but I love listening to music. And I love when people tell me about new bands to listen to even more. It's so hard to find new bands these days, with all the new artists coming out all the time. A lot of websites and magazines give really inaccurate reviews (in my opinion) so you'll listen to this new band that they said was like the new Rolling Stones or something and they really just sound like crap. Anyway, I thought I would let you all in on what I'm listening to these days and why I like them.

1. Bowerbirds: This band/guy is AWESOME. Seriously. He sounds like a mix of Bon Iver+Iron and Wine+Beirut+something else I can't put my finger on right now. LP told me about them and I have never been so happy for someone to tell me about a band as this one. It's a guy who sings lead, but there's also a girl who sings harmonies and it sounds so pretty! The lyrics are great and the music itself is really good. Plus, they have an accordian on a few of the songs and let me tell you, if you love accordians, you'll love this. This band made me realize my love for the accordian. I didn't ever really think about them until I heard it on this album and then I started thinking about a few other bands who use the accordian and I suddenly realized that I LOVE that instrument.

2. Dr. Dog: These dudes are great. Sounds like The Beatles+Beach Boys harmonies+southern rock. I know, sounds like it could be horrible but it's not. It's the opposite. It's the kind of album that makes you feel like getting in your car on a beautiful day, rolling down the windows and blasting these guys as you drive through a field. Or something like that.

3. Frightened Rabbit: Irish guys sound just as awesome when they sing and this band proves it. They have some really fun songs that make you want to dance around your bedroom.

4. Sunset Rubdown: If you like a dude with a weird voice and kind of odd music then you will like this band. Related to him is.....

5. Handsome Furs: This is a dude and his girlfriend. He sings and she plays with synthesizers and it all makes for some good music. The guy from this band and the guy from Sunset Rubdown are another band that I LOVE called Wolf Parade. Also a fun band with drums and pretty forceful beats that makes me want to jump up and down.

6. The War on Drugs: I can't say that I am a huge fan of this album as a whole, but there is a great song that may be my favorite song of the moment on this album called "Arms Like Boulders" and you should all listen to it. It is super.

7. We Were Promised Jetpacks: LP also told me about these Scottish boys. I haven't listened to this band as much, but from what I've heard, I like them a lot.

So, that's what I got going for now. Check out some new music, ya'll!!!

1 comment:

Kentsten said...

Seriously thanks for this post, I am checking into some of your suggestions right now. I need some new music asap :). Enjoy DC!!!